Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Power of Chewing


How many times did your mother told you to chew your food thoroughly? It turns out there is a valid reason to do so. A recent study from Purdue University (West Lafayette, Indiana) showed that foods yield significantly different levels of nutrition, including calories, depending on hoe much they're chewed. On this study they used almonds, which contain healthy doses of both fiber and good fat, but the implications for other foods are quite broad. When foods are chewed less thoroughly, the body has a hard time digesting them and subsequently absorbing the nutrients. This doesn't bode well for those who are often in a hurry and tend to eat on the go. Even hormone levels are affected, showing that something as simple as chewing can have physiological consequences.

8 Comments:

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Yes I believe that chewing food thoroughly will help in the digestion of food and in extracting the optimum amount of nutrients in the food we take. It also allows the stomach to feel satisfied faster and induce less food intake thus resulting into natural slimming. Thanks for the informative post. God bless you always.

Nancy Janiola said...

I always see to it that i chew my nuts well, hehe! halos yun lang kasi ang gusto kong kainin apart from chips. i only eat one meal in a day.

...... but i'm not on a diet! weeehh!

Meryl (proud pinay) said...

oo nga sis, na remember ko pa dati palage sa aming sinasabi na nguyain ng mabuti ang food kc nga may good effects nga daw iyon maging sa skin...mas gaganda ang kutis. ^_^

Cascia Talbert said...

That is very interesting I had no idea. I am glad that I chew my food thoroughly!

Blessed Lady said...

Hi! I love your blog. I always make it a point to chew my food thouroughly. Makes me feel full faster...keeping blogging...God Bless

Imee Rocks said...

I liked your post! I've always been aware of this, but sadly I don't always chew food properly. But at the times that I do, I always find myself feeling better, less hungry, and have better bowel movement. Anyone else share my sentiments?

-Imee

Unknown said...

That is amazing to know that the same food could give different nutrition levels depending on the levels of chewing.

Health Advocate

Unknown said...

Great post...a new way of thinking altogether.Always knew that chewing helps to digest though.

Buy Propecia Online

 
Health, Nutrition and Beauty Tips - Templates para novo blogger 2007